Tuesday, February 9, 2010

lonely bananas.

Since there's only two of us (husby & I) we can't eat a whole bunch of bananas before they turn brown. Sometimes I break the bunch in half so we only have 3 or 4 bananas to take home. Lately, I've taken to picking out the 'lonely' bananas, or the bananas in the 'orphan' basket. Do you know which ones I'm talking about? The grocer goes through and periodically organizes the produce, and sorts out the lone bananas into a basket in the corner of the display. Since we can't eat a whole bunch anyway, I figure I can bring these misfit bananas home with me so they will feel loved one last time before I eat them. Is that weird?

Do you have any quirky grocery store habits?

image from nazret.com via google image search

3 comments:

Natasha said...

Haha you're so funny. If you ever have bananas that start to go brown just throw them in your freezer and use them in a smoothie down the road. That's what we usually do to avoid having to throw away any fresh fruit. Or you can always make banana bread! I'm glad you're fostering the orphan bananas though ... that's so thoughtful of you. Speaking of which two good books (in response to an earlier question) "A Child Called It" and "The Lost Boy" ... I read them many years ago and am re-reading them. It's an account of a child who was abused by his mother and then his experience in the foster care system. I usually check out Oprah's book club selections whenever I'm looking for suggestions on books to read and it's never let me down.

Christopher Chandler said...

Make Banana Bread with your left overs! The Betty Crocker recipe is great, it's easy and taste's fabulous!

Rachael said...

how kind you are to the bananas. They probably feel much more loved!